- Medical Dermatology
Dermatology is the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of skin disease and skin cancers. Dermatologists treat patients of all ages, from babies and children to adolescents and adults. Although diseases of the skin are many and varied, in Dubai it is important to visit a Dermatologist, as we are exposed to so much sun. The problems caused by the sun include skin cancers such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and malignant melanoma. Other potential skin problems that are part and parcel of a typical dermatologist’s work is acne, eczema, skin infections, psoriasis, occupational dermatitis, and hair and nail disorders, surveillance of moles and cosmetic problems of the skin.
There are different types of dermatology:
- Medical dermatology: Diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases that affect the skin, hair and nails.
- Dermatopathology: Diagnose diseases that affect the skin, hair, and nails by removing a sample and examining the sample with a microscope.
- Surgical dermatology: Treat diseases that affect the skin, hair, and nails by using a surgical procedure.
- Cosmetic dermatology: Treat the skin, hair, or nails using a treatment that is meant to improve a patient’s appearance rather than treat a disease.
- Chemical peels
Common skin diseases include:
- Skin Cancer
- Fungal Infections
- Hand Dermatitis
- Atopic Eczema
- Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex)